Total Knee Joint Replacement
Thumbay Group of hospitals are well prepared to perform total joint replacement surgeries in the ultra modern operation theatres and have specialist orthopaedic surgeons who have been successfully performing these surgeries. A total Joint replacement involves removing an arthritic or damaged joint and replacing it with an artificial joint called as prosthesis.
Knee Replacement Surgery also known Total Knee Arthroplasty is a cure of painful knees, knee arthritis and other knee related issues. Knee Replacement is a surgical procedure during which the bones of the knee are resurfaced with metal and plastic implants. The weight passing through the knee should be well distributed for which the bones of the knee are well aligned.
In total knee replacement surgery, the parts of the bones that rub together are resurfaced with metal and plastic implants. Using special, precision instruments, your surgeon will typically remove the damaged surfaces of all three bones. The replacement surfaces will then be fixed into place.
Sometimes also called “resurfacing”, this operation involves the removal of the damaged, worn ends of the thigh (femur), and leg (tibia) bones that make up the knee joint, as well as the back of the kneecap (patella). The bone ends are precisely reshaped and recapped with metal surfaces, with special plastic liners added as a bearing surface that promotes low friction gliding between metal and plastic.
Who is an ideal patient for a Total knee replacement?
- According to enquiry among surgeons, the patient with best chances to succeed with Total knee replacement should.
- Have severe pain in the knee joint.
- Have the diagnosis of osteoarthritis.
- The knee joint should be stable or only slightly unstable.
- The musculature around the knee should be reasonably strong.
- The patient should weight less than 100 kg.
- The patient should not have other serious diseases.
- The patient should be greater 60 years old.
- The patient should be well motivated
Thumbay Hospitals provides the most competent treatment of trauma of the musculo - skeletal system. Fully-equipped and advanced operation theaters and facilities enable excellent preoperative care.Enquire Now